Pratt Center is currently seeking our next Executive Director.
Date posted: 08 Feb, 2023
Pratt Institute is recruiting for the position of Executive Director for the Pratt Center for Community Development. For more than sixty years the Pratt Center has been a pioneer in serving communities throughout New York City by leveraging the expert assistance of Pratt faculty and students to help build a more just, sustainable and inclusive city. Since Pratt Center’s launch at the birth of the community development movement, the Center has worked with, and has been an advocate for low-income disadvantaged communities and communities of color to provide affordable housing, create well-paying jobs and foster healthy, sustainable neighborhoods.
The Executive Director of the Pratt Center reports to the Chief Strategy Officer in the Provost’s Office for Research and Strategic Partnerships which provides a bridge between the academic side of the Institute and the Center’s community and external partners. The Executive Director has broad oversight of programming and fundraising to ensure that Pratt Center is implementing research and programs which serve client needs while pioneering new practices and are supported by adequate funding to advance the Center’s mission. The Executive Director and Pratt Center staff will work with Pratt Institute faculty, students and administration to ensure that the Center identifies emerging trends, challenges and opportunities in which the Center can play an impactful role in enabling the success of disadvantaged communities and to removing structural barriers to equitable and inclusive planning and growth. This includes the ongoing development of a portfolio of mission aligned projects and a sustainable model of grant and contact support to sustain the work.
The Executive Director plays a multifaceted role. The Center’s impact is enhanced by its ability to be both a provider of direct services and as an advocate for policies that are informed by the Center’s direct service experience, research and networks. The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring that the integration of services and policy, for developing and maintaining relations with elected officials, community leaders, funders and thought leaders
On a typical day you will be responsible for:
- Program Oversight: Oversee current program work; oversee contractors and future staff to fulfill current program deliverables and commitments.
- Operations Oversight: Oversee and coordinate: finance, fundraising reports, grants, donor management, fundraising plan,
- Primary point of contact with Pratt Institute: develop and maintain relationships with faculty and senior staff, identify and implement opportunities for partnering with faculty and advise Institute on community and citywide issues as needed.
- Earned Income: Work to identify potential new projects and secure new project work.
- Fund Development and Communications: Manage relationships with funders and facilitate meetings and reports related to fund development. Oversee foundation proposal development, reporting, and communications with current foundation officers.
- Staff Management: Direct supervision of all consultants and senior staff.
The Salary Range for this position is $160K–185K + Generous Benefits:
- 403B Retirement Program
- Supplemental Retirement Account
- Tuition Benefits for Employees and Dependents
- Tuition Exchange Program
- Summer hours
- Flexible Spending Accounts - commuter, medical, dependent care
- Childcare Benefit
- Basic life and AD&D insurance provided by Pratt
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Coverage
- Paid time off - vacation days, sick leave, and major holidays off
- Additional Perks - free entry to select museums and cultural institutions, free use of campus recreation facilities, affordable
As a top-ranked college with opportunities in art, design, architecture, liberal arts and sciences, and information studies, Pratt offers nearly 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The Institute’s impact expands beyond its 25-acre residential campus in Brooklyn and is committed to a pedagogy of learning through doing and practice, creating both a culture of engagement in which Pratt Center can develop relationships within and beyond the community. Since its founding in 1887, Pratt has prioritized diversity and inclusion, welcoming students from all walks of life while developing and sustaining pathways to more equitable workplaces and careers.
Undergraduate degree and graduate work in a field of practice that aligns with Pratt Institute’s schools of study.
10 years of nonprofit management experience, including 3 years supervising staff with a minimum of 1-year senior management responsibility.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strength in institutional fundraising; foundation cultivation and proposal writing.
- Excellent analytical, written, and oral communication skills.
- Commitment to racial equity and experience working on the frontlines of social justice campaigns/grassroots movements.
- Must be able to thrive in a highly dynamic, flexible work environment and switch rapidly from strategy to execution, from oversight of programs and services to research and policy, and from working with Pratt Institute faculty and administration to partnering with community organizations and liaising with elected officials.
- Ability to work across organizational lines and understand the mechanics of public policy impact on local, state and federal levels. Experience working with city, state and federal agencies including navigating the contracting processes.
- Ability to oversee research, integrate research into policy development and develop communications and advocacy strategy such as working with media and elected officials
Please submit your cover letter and resume through Pratt Institute’s hiring portal. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.
Program Manager, Marketing & Engagement
Date posted: 18 Jan, 2023
Pratt Center for Community Development is looking for a solutions oriented and driven individual who believes in uplifting communities through economic development to serve as our Made in NYC Program Manager, Marketing & Engagement.
Founded in 1963, the Pratt Center for Community Development works for a more just, equitable, and sustainable city for all New Yorkers. As part of Pratt Institute, Pratt Center leverages professional skills—including participatory planning, community organizing and education, research and policy advocacy—to advance innovative solutions to social, economic and environmental inequalities in partnership with small businesses, community-based organizations, and policymakers.
Made in NYC is Pratt Center’s signature local branding initiative that supports New York City’s vibrant manufacturing and maker community. Made in NYC helps manufacturers and makers to grow through marketing and promotional platforms, skills-building programs, and access to a supportive community of peers. Made in NYC is a membership based initiative with 1,500+ member businesses making everything from hot sauce to handbags to neon signs in all five boroughs.
The Program Manager, Marketing & Engagement will lead Made in NYC’s marketing campaigns and membership engagement. The primary role of the Program Manager is to build awareness of the Made in NYC brand, lead the program’s storytelling and communications efforts, and plan events and activities that support Made in NYC member businesses and New York City’s manufacturing community as a whole. We are excited to meet candidates who are looking to join an energetic and values-driven team, and who exhibit true dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their own work and workplace culture.
Lead Program Marketing
- Develop and manage all digital marketing campaigns
- Build awareness of the Made in NYC brand, and ensure consistency of Made in NYC’s brand internally and externally
- Support Made in NYC members in the use of the Made in NYC logo and other branding tools and collateral
- Liaise with Pratt Center’s communications team to leverage all external marketing platforms
- Lead storytelling about our members and manufacturing on the Made in NYC website
Develop and Manage Made in NYC’s Communications Strategy
- Write and lead the design of the monthly Made in NYC newsletter and other e-blasts as needed
- Write copy and oversee design of assets for Made in NYC’s social media channels and other outreach
- Develop assets and copy for all newsletters and digital media
- Support communications efforts for Made in NYC coalition work to promote the external understanding of local manufacturing policy and support initiatives
Lead Engagement and Technical Support Services for Made in NYC Members
- Oversee membership recruitment and outreach efforts, and facilitate onboarding efforts.
- Manage weekly Made in NYC Office Hours
- Support Learning Lab workshops promotion and registration
Manage the Planning and Execution of Made in NYC Events
- Lead the planning and logistics for all Made in NYC events including: business networking events, webinars and virtual and in-person panel discussions
- Support the planning of the annual Made in NYC Week event series in collaboration with Made in NYC and Pratt Center teams.
Supervise Part-Time Graduate Student Fellows and Interns Throughout the Year.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, urban planning, or other related fields is required. Master’s degree in urban planning, strategic communications, or a similar field is preferred.
- 3–5 years experience working at a firm/organization related to marketing and/or community engagement. Entrepreneurial experience is a plus.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and graphic communication skills are required.
- Experience with creative direction, story-telling, website management, business marketing, and event planning preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suites is required. Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Salesforce is preferred.
- Candidates should be passionate about one or more of the following areas: urban manufacturing, marketing, branding, small business support, BIPOC-owned businesses, community and economic development.
- Knowledge of the New York City maker scene and manufacturing industry is a plus.
TERM AND SALARY
- This is a full-time permanent position and is hybrid in-person and virtual. The salary range is $70,000–$75,000 along with generous benefits.
Interested applicants are required to apply online by submitting a resume, cover letter and portfolio through Pratt Institute’s hiring portal.