About the Fellowship
The Made In NYC Fellowship program, made possible by support from the New York City Council, provides financial awards to Pratt faculty, staff and students who offer creative services or training opportunities to enhance the marketing capacity of manufacturing businesses in the Made In NYC network.
Made In NYC (MINYC) is an initiative of Pratt Center for Community Development which seeks to strengthen the manufacturing sector and anchor manufacturing companies to NYC. Leveraging the resources and expertise of Pratt Institute, MINYC provides local branding, marketing, and other business development assistance to over 1,200 local manufacturers, and is a platform for these businesses to connect with each other.
Pratt Institute faculty and administrators interested in working with MINYC businesses are invited to submit their qualifications and ideas as we assemble teams to help strengthen the marketing and business development capacity of New York City manufacturers during the 2019-20 school year.
With the leadership of faculty experts, we are seeking to develop service programs and technical assistance for small businesses in the following areas:
- Improving graphic identity and branding
- Improving social media presence
- Strategic marketing analysis and planning
- Video/photography production and skill-building
- Strategic technology and design management
- Web design
- Improving business operation and production process
- Improving business development and growth process
- Other assistance that leverages Pratt Institute’s resources in graphic design, packaging design, social media, market assessment, and the development of promotional materials that help companies improve their marketing
Who can apply?
This opportunity is open to full- and part-time professors, adjunct and visiting faculty, and full- and part-time administrators at Pratt, as well as current Pratt students. Fellowship projects can take the form of for-credit coursework that engages MINYC companies as clients for student work; or workshops or other offerings that faculty provide to MINYC companies unaffiliated with coursework. More specifically, grants of up to $12,000 are available for individuals, teams, and departments to engage in any/all of the following:
- Direct services to one or more companies with the assistance of one or more current students;
- Workshops and other forms of continuing education for groups of companies to provide skill-building in social media, website management, brand promotion, etc.;
- 2019-20 design studios that bring in MINYC companies as clients, working with students;
- Course development along the lines of Communications Design’s Design Corps course;
- Course development for other types of courses with MINYC companies in mind.
Grants of up to $12,000 will be announced at the end of the Spring 2019 semester. Priority will be given to projects whose aims align most squarely with the needs of Made in NYC companies as described under “Project Eligibility”.